Thursday, May 15, 2008

"All her kings in the back row..." - Catcher in the Rye - Impressions I


So now that I am four chapters in, I have decided to post some thoughts. I distinctly think 3 things:


1) Holden Caulfield is a spoiled prep-school richie who complains about everything.

2) I don't want to like Holden Caulfield.

3) I like Holden Caulfield.


In addition, the language thus far is dated, but perhaps, this adds to the charm of Salinger's writing. The swearing seems awfully unneccessary but I understand its place in this book. I am still asking myself why Holden continues to keep my attention. I will admit that, in spite of his obvious flaws, he makes some very valid observations about human nature, about why we really do what we do. Indeed, Salinger seems to have a finger on the humanity button.
Favorite quote so far: "I used to play checkers with her all the time...She wouldn't move any of her kings. What she'd do, when she'd get a king, she wouldn't move it. She'd just leave it in the back row. She'd get them all lined up in the back row. Then she'd never use them. She just liked the way they looked when they were all in the back row...Ask her if she still keeps all her kings in the back row."

1 comment:

Penguins Quack said...

I must say how cranky I am to hear you don't like Holden!
... but then, I am scarily in love with Holden Caulfield. It really freaks my friends out.
Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite books.
Favourite quote:
"I don't even know what I was running for - I guess I just felt like it."